- Strengthen language and literacy instruction in pre-kindergarten programs
- Use evidence-based, intentional curricula
- Provide resources for literacy-rich classroom environments
- Expand accessibility to pre-kindergarten programs for all low-income students
- Expand partnership between school districts and public and private partners
- Expand partnerships between school districts and public and private partners
- Provide comprehensive professional development for early childhood educators about early literacy and social-emotional development
- Children’s development can be affected by high-quality preschool experiences that can improve later academic and social competence.
- High-quality pre-kindergarten programs have indicators of structural quality which include classroom materials, curricula, teacher education, and teacher-child ratio.
- Sustained, intensive professional learning for teachers has been linked to higher quality indicators and positive child outcomes.
- Pre-kindergarten students score higher in language development and phonological awareness when teachers participate in targeted professional learning in intentional evidence-based literacy curricula.
Information taken from the South Carolina Reading Plan, 2015.